Friday, May 18, 2012

Ginger syrup recipe

I love club soda; I love ginger ale; but I just discovered how much I love ginger syrup.  It's so easy.  I can pour it in my club soda to make my own ginger ale, or add it to my iced tea.  My first batch I made with Stevia, but from now on I will use real sugar.  It's definitely worth the calories.  I found the recipe on epicurious.

ingredients:
3 cups water   
2 cups surgar
2 cups thinly slice fresh ginger (1/2 lb; from a 10-inch piece), left unpeeled

Bring water, surgar, and ginger to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan, then stir until sugar is dissolved.  Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and let steep 15 minutes.  Pour ginger syrup through a sieve into a bowl, discarding ginger.  Chill, covered at least 2 hours. 

Syrup keeps, covered and chilled, 2 weeks.

I wonder how it would taste added to my iced tea with bourbon.  I will definitely do the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment