Sunday, August 17, 2014

Back To School Sewing

Our oldest grandchild started first grade this week.  I can't even begin to fathom how we got here so fast.  So to mark this special event I wanted to sew her a little something to start off her school year.





















The fabric is Sara Jane's "Wee Wander" Summer Ride and Out to Sea Sailor's ABC purchased from aspenfabrics on Etsy.  I love the whole collection and have made other outfits with this designer fabric from this shop.  I used "Wee Wander" Tree Lights for her birthday dress, (pictured right) a few months ago. 






I live in a rural area, 25 minutes from a fabric store unless you consider Walmart, so I love on-line tutorials and pdf patterns.  For the skirt I used Melly Sews free drawstring skirt tutorial found here.  Very straight forward and easy to follow.

But the dress I had some difficulties with.  The above photo is actually the second dress I made using the Poppy Dress Pattern found on Etsy.  After reading the finished measurements the pattern gave I decided to make a size 6. 


I've been sewing for 32 years, and as I was making it I knew something had to be off with the pattern. Well, it's a good thing Olivia has a little sister, because it ended up being a very cute, tea length dress for Lily, age 3. 







But luckily I had more than enough fabric to sew it up again, this time making it in a size 8.



And as you can see, it fits perfectly....... 

Comfortable enough for soccer and bug hunting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment