Monday, February 15, 2016

3 DIY recipes that could change the way you clean and freshen your home....

I have an amazing nose, so I’ve been told.  So consequently I have a very low tolerance for unpleasant smells.

I find the chemical smells in the more frequently used cleaning products over powering, especially in winter when the house is closed up.  Take for instance the all purpose sprays used in kitchens, I feel like I’m being slowly poisoned with each spray and wipe.  For that reason the past couple of years I’ve been making my own.  It’s so easy, economical, and smells so much better.  And I don’t feel choked to death each time I use it.

The ingredients are:

½ cup white vinegar
3 cups water
¼ tsp tea tree oil
10 drops lavender oil

It all goes into a spray bottle and then shake it up.  I use this as my kitchen all purpose cleaner.  Counters, tables, cabinet doors, refrigerator spills, it works great.


The second recipe I make I found about a year ago here….


I have to say, in all my years of mopping floors my floors have never been cleaner.  It's the convenience of my Swiffer, but much more economical.  The ingredients are:

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
and a combination of essential oils.

I use 10 drops lavender and 10 drops tea tree.

I just use a cheap pack of washcloths from Wal-mart.  I love that you can turn them over if you need to for another clean side and just toss them in the wash when you're finished.

Finally, I hate canned air fresheners, and I especially hate plug-ins.  But I do love to have the house smell fresh and clean.  A few years ago I was looking for simple, easy Christmas gifts to give to co-workers and I stumbled across these natural room fresheners here...


I especially love the lime, mint, thyme and vanilla.  I put it in a small crock pot and leave it.  When I'm finished I let it cool a bit then store it in the refrigerator and use it once more.

Now there's three easy ways to bring some natural freshness to a long winter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment