Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Ties to Memories














As January is winding down, so has my production level.  Even though there's many projects to start, ones' with deadlines creeping ever closer, I find myself wanting to be quite still.  I've found I can spend quite a bit of time writing in my journal, staring at the bird feeder, reading and listening to books, and of course knitting while watching movies and streaming shows, all the while not feeling too many moments of guilt about not getting anything done.  I did manage to paint one watercolor, a Charley Harper bird study.  I'm considering it for my first attempt at rug hooking.

Otherwise, keeping with my current state of mind, I'm only doing enough housework to stay afloat.  Knowing that spring will be here soon and then I will be itching to give the place a good scrub makes it all seem OK.  Also, we had two grandchildren for a sleepover last weekend, and the next two weekends have scheduled sleepovers as well.  So really, what's the point?  All I need to do is make the place livable for the two of us until the next kid crew happily checks in.

What I have been happy to put my efforts into lately is cooking, because after all, we have to eat.  It started with the idea that I wanted to try to make homemade biscotti, and now I'm in love.  I've found that one slice with a cup of my favorite tea in the afternoon can really turn my day around.   Just a note about this tea, we first discovered it in the family waiting room at the birthing center where four of our eight grandchildren were born and we've been drinking it ever since. It's quite possibly the best tea you'll ever drink and does a remarkable job at soothing your soul.   

A few days later I had a dentist appointment.  In preparation to be kind to my sensitive mouth I wanted to fix soup that evening for dinner, but none of my regular standbys were sounding very appetizing.  Then a favorite from my childhood came to mind, French Onion Soup.  When I was a girl there was a department store in downtown St. Louis, Famous-Barr.  In their lovely tea room I would have lunch with my mother, feeling very fancy, eating the most delicious French Onion soup you could ever put in your mouth.  Nothing I've ordered or made since has come close, until now.  If you want to make a small investment of time for a huge return in flavor, try this recipe from Epicurious.  

Two days later on the night of the sleepover I made another childhood favorite, my grandmother's chicken and dumplings .   Making it for my own grandchildren sparked more fine memories.  Other simple tasks done mindfully, like shining my shoes, bring memories of watching my dad doing the same thing.  

I suppose now that I'm older I spend more time looking to the past.  When I became a mother, memories of my childhood guided me along, steering me towards (and away from) parenting decisions. I'm delighted that now with grandchildren, happy childhood memories frequently come to mind once again.  

Over the past weeks I have not been a total slouch.  I have risen from my chair to take winter walks, not only in my neighborhood, but for activism as well.   My daughter, granddaughter and I participated in our second women's march, lifting my spirits and renewing my motivation for change.  After a year of our current administration I had been feeling exhausted.  

Some things to share:

Book recommendation: When Breath Becomes Air.  Some background articles can be found  here: 

Even if you don't do everything this article suggests, just reading it had me breathing deeper and feeling more mindful and connected.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/declutter-your-mind-in-7-days?utm_term=pos-1&utm_source=mbg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=180127

Finally, I bought these bowl covers to lighten our footprint. I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment