Sunday, February 25, 2018

The Bear Project












Once again I bit off more than I could chew.  When I first saw these bears I thought it would be a cute and easy project for Valentine's day.  But I always fail to calculate the time it will take to make eight.  It took me three weeks of non-stop hand sewing to finish them. Some grandchildren got theirs well before Valentine's Day, some just after the holiday, and then some not until yesterday, (ten days out from the holiday).  I finished them in the order we were seeing each family, which is normally one a weekend.  So I suppose getting four families finished in three weekends was pretty good.

As always after a big production project, it feels good to get back to knitting and reading again.  I've been working on a cabled poncho since the fall.  Christmas and now Valentine's Day took large blocks of knitting time from the project.  This week I have to start on birthday gifts.  Olivia has requested a doll I've made before and her birthday is in two weeks.  So by the time I finish my poncho, it will most likely be too warm to wear it.

I try to stay a part of the Yarn Along on Ginny Sheller's blog, including a photo of what I'm knitting and reading.  Although I'm not quite sure how to include photos of books on my Kindle. Living in a rural area my closest library is a tiny one located in my small town.  Most of the books I read I check out through the Kansas City Library on my Kindle, (never leaving my house).  So a collage was what I came up with.  Unfortunately, my Photoshop edition is about ten years old and the collage feature leaves much to be desired.  I spent quite some time trying to find somewhere on the internet where I could make one for free.  If anyone knows of a good site for this I would love to know it.

The past week has been filled with ice storms and freezing rain so any signs of floral greenery are greatly welcomed. One of my orchids has bloomed again which always makes me feel as if I've accomplished a monumental feat.  My father was a talented, as well as prolific orchid gardener.  I miss having his advice a phone call away.  No matter the effort, I did not inherit his green thumb.

Make Art Not War.  This poster hangs not only in my home but in both of my daughters' homes as well.  We each got them for Christmas gifts, from each other, a funny story but not for now.  What I wish is that "feel good" catchphrases like this were all we needed to change the world. 

Many people have opinions on how to solve this "only in America" gun violence, myself included.   One way we all can make sure our opinion is heard is to vote. In order to vote, you have to be registered.  Text P2P to RTVOTE (788-683) to make sure your registration information is up-to-date.  I want to believe we've arrived at a tipping point and our young people are leading the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment