Monday, December 28, 2020

Holiday Intermission













I do believe the week between Christmas and New Year’s is my favorite week of the year.  However things turned out, Christmas day is over and it’s intermission.  It’s time to slow down and take a deep breath.  For me the rush to finish everything by Christmas always comes down to the wire.  Even this year, when I had an extra day, I was working up to the moment things were packed into the car for delivery.

 Just like Thanksgiving, our family did not gather for Christmas.  Usually our children and their children, (twenty of us now!) have dinner and gifts on Christmas Eve.  This year our younger son created a Zoom 2020 trivia game for us, with questions for every age group. Then on Christmas day, wearing masks, we made driveway deliveries of presents and food. 

 This year’s handmade gifts were a quilt for our newest grandchild; the second youngest grandchild received her first birthday book, and a knitted bonnet.  Her sister has a matching one I’m just finishing.   And for the grownups, a pair of knitted slipper socks, 8 pairs total!  I once asked my oldest son if a hat he was wearing was one that I had knitted.  He replied yes, and that he had a drawer full of them.  So I decided to start working on the other end and knit socks.  That same son liked his socks so much I’m knitting him another pair for his birthday on the 8th.

 So that’s it; a lot of work but not a lot of hoopla this year.  One of our daughter-in-laws receives her first round of the vaccine today.  Here’s hoping to the beginning of the end and better days to come, one when all twenty of us and can be together again.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment