Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I have always had a

I have always had a crush on the Kennedys. I admired Jackie especially, but I have a crush on the whole Camelot era, and Kit, Bobby and Ethel too. Truly, they were larger than life. But I never really cared for Teddy. I knew about the Chappaquiddick incident and I knew he was suspended from Harvard his freshman year for cheating. So I never paid attention to him.
And truthfully, before the last four years I was never really socially or politically minded. My crush was more because of life styles rather than issues. (And for this I feel shame.)
But last night I watched all the biographies and news shows documenting his life. I listened to his speeches and the issues he campaigned for. And throughout his career he believed in the same things I believe in. I wish I would have taken the time to get to know his issues better when he was alive. I learned about the personal tragedies he suffered, beyond losing his siblings. And yet a friend described him as wickedly funny. I admire that.
We’ve lost someone who used his voice to fight against the gluttonous view, “I’m only doing well if I’m doing better than you”, rather than we do better as a whole if we all are doing better. I can only hope and pray another person will have the bravery to take up the fight in his place.



No comments:

Post a Comment