Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow day activities

I am having a snow day today. This is our first real snow of the season. I love my mini cooper but it doesn’t plow through snow packed country roads very well. So when I became stuck in my own driveway, and the thermometer read 0 degrees, it was an easy decision to call in and give myself a snow day.

Yesterday my normal 15 minute commute took 45. I always listen to NPR. Yesterday I was listening to Talk of the Nation and their interview with Karen Armstrong. I can't believe I've never heard of her before.  Her message is such a compelling one.  In 2008 she won the TED prize.  I found myself wanting to read her book,
Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life (Borzoi Books)
http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Steps-Compassionate-Borzoi-Books/dp/0307595595/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid;=I1XGNAYA25HU1&colid;=2RZ1GY23295K1

I also found myself wanting to know more about this woman and her work. So today I’ve been reading and learning, and now joining the charter. You can learn more here: http://charterforcompassion.org/site/  And you can see and listen to her here: http://www.ted.com/speakers/karen_armstrong.html  Just think what the world would be like if we all followed the charter!  I hope we can all find a way to live more compassionately.  It seems human beings build up a tolerance to hearing things like what happened in Arizona.  Wouldn't being tolerant of each other make us more humane? I've always believed tolerance is the key.  Please help spread the word. The golden rule is truly a valuable lesson.
 
Another snow day joy, working on my next emboidery...  
 and painting.....
and laundry.... and staying warm.  Hope you all stay warm as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment