Monday, September 11, 2017

Welcoming Boredom






Living in the rural countryside the past 32 years I have to admit that for years I didn't understand why others, who lived surrounded by wilderness like me, wanted to spend their weekends camping.  After all, if I want to soak up nature all I have to do is step out onto my deck.

Then we became empty nesters and I began to look at RVs as a way for us to do some travelling.  So we did some shopping around and bought one.  And I have to say, it's my all-time favorite way to travel. But it wasn't until we took our camper out to the local lake that I understood fully what having an RV would truly mean to me.

This weekend we spent three days at the lake.  While we were there my daughter asked me, "what do you do all day out here?"  And I replied, "nothing, and that's the beauty of it."  

Because when you're at the lake, there's no laundry calling, no dust guilting you into taking care of it, no gardens begging to be weeded.  What little housekeeping that might need your attention is so small it takes no time to accomplish.  There's no Netflix or Amazon Fire or Tivo to steal your time.  Your calendar has been cleared. 

What there is is endless hours for reading, hours for sketching, old movies on antenna TV, board games, tiny jigsaw puzzles, and new recipes to try on a campfire, (grilled ginger peach chicken and steaks with avocado butter).

Best of all, there's mornings for staring at the lake, and afternoons, and evenings.

When Monday comes around I find I am so much more rested than on a Monday following a weekend that wasn't spent at the lake.  And I start looking ahead for the next weekend available to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment